Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Dirty Side of Wedding Planning

Photo Courtesy: lilmisscakes.com

It's 1 month away from getting married and I haven't blogged a single thing about my wedding planning journey. It's been full of ups and downs (mostly downs), and I wish there was a practical list of things to do, timelines, advice guru, anything that was out there that could have prepared me for this journey. Oh wait! There are! It's called Google and your married friends.

There is a ton of good advice and bad advice and the main problem is that there is a ton of it. So here's my 2 cents of what I have experienced so far and things that I wished people told me. It boils down to 2 pieces of headline advice - 1. You will fight with your fiance, and 2. Planning your wedding is a job and not all fun & games.

1. You will fight with your fiance. A friend told me that her friend almost broke-up with her fiance because they were fighting so much over wedding planing. I thought that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard, but now that we're a month away from the big day, I actually believe it's possible. A disagreement about how the RSVP should look turned into bickering, which turned into a full blown fight about respect and trust. Tears and snot flew from my end. Heated words spewed like fire from H's end. It was a complete mess. Ultimately, it's about what I want versus what he wants, and it's aggravating when I don't get what I want. What we have to keep reminding ourselves is that no one cares or pays attention if the ribbon on the party favors is a bow or a regular knot. Guests will just be thankful to have a little some to nosh on before dinner arrives.

2. Planning your wedding is a job and not all fun & games. I'm a procrastinator at heart. I leave things to the last minute and it drives H crazy. Which is the main source of advice #1. If I did 1% of the shit I pulled with wedding planning at work I would be fired. While it's great & wonderful to pin beautiful cake cutters and create an inspiration board around how to decorate it, you need to get your ass into gear and choose a venue, choose a dress, choose a caterer, etc. Have fun, but you still need to treat it like a job because you are planning an event. So create deadlines, budgets, alternative contingency options, and stick to them.

I sound so cynical. Eek. I am really excited to get married to H and I'm excited to throw a kick-ass party. I've had fun looking at froofy wedding things online. I just wish someone gave me these 2 pieces of advice so that I would have spent less time gazing at weddingbee.com and more time making decisions...thereby causing less arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment